View Single Post
Old 06-11-03, 07:31 PM   #6
bwkaz

... Why were you looking at nVidia's drivers then, if you don't have an nVidia card?

*shrug* whatever.

Anyway, you should still be able to boot to runlevel 3 (text login). At the grub menu, hit whatever key is used to edit the kernel command line (I think it's the 'e' key, but I don't use grub so I don't know for sure). Once you can edit the command line, go to the end of it and add a space and the number 3.

Hit whatever key boots that kernel (ideally, that would be enter, but as I said, I don't use grub so I don't know), and you should be able to get to a login screen. Log in as root, and delete the /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o file.

Then, try to make uninstall in the GLX package directory (if you still have it -- if not, re-decompress the GLX tarball that you used originally). If that doesn't work, then just manually delete the following files:

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so*
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
/usr/lib/libGLcore*
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0-4363 and any files that are symlinks to it

(that's not everything, but it's close enough).

Then rerun /sbin/ldconfig (still as root).

Then, edit your XF86Config file to go back to using the old driver (probably "i810").

Try to start X up (with, amazingly enough, the startx command ). If it doesn't work, then copy /var/log/XFree86.0.log over to somewhere else and attach it to your next post. If it does work, log out of it and shutdown -r now to reboot.
Registered Linux User #219692

Last edited by bwkaz; 06-11-03 at 07:36 PM.
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote