Thread: X.org 7.3
View Single Post
Old 10-06-07, 06:55 PM   #18
Chronos_
Registered User
 
Chronos_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7
Default Re: X.org 7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger101101
Being "loud" and voicing your dissatisfaction is one thing, but being rude and obnoxious won't speed anything up.
Seconded. As for time frames, as any competent programmer will tell you, sticking a deadline on a piece of code is something only a manager does, and then only a manager with no coding background. I doubt Zander will commit to a time frame simply because he can't. There are no hard and fast rules from which to calculate such a promise and it makes a company look silly when the date slips (see Microsoft and Vista for just how silly, especially when that slippage starts making you drop features and quality to get it RTM).

Don't forget, aside from the ABI bump, there is also the GLX issue that shows up when running composite and damage extensions, which is just a single issue that I'm aware of and have verified for myself, so there is probably extra work to be done to bring the FreeBSD driver to feature parity with the other platforms. It's not a case of nVidia and Zander not caring. Quite the contrary.

No, I'm not associated with nVidia in any way. I've just thought about the xorg-7.3 upgrade logically. Let me go through my reasoning:
  • I have a nVidia graphics card (or five), 3D works fine and I can play Doom3 (if I wanted to, which I don't. I use it to benchmark graphics cards with "linux-doom3 timedemo demo1") in xorg 7.2;
  • Xorg in the ports has been updated to 7.3;
  • The current nVidia driver doesn't support 7.3's ABI;
  • The Xorg 7.3 input modules are causing people problems, even with other graphics hardware;
  • portaudit -Fda is complaining at me for not upgrading firefox et al.
What do I do? Do I:
  • Do a portupgrade -a anyway and bitch when it doesn't work, even when I knew perfectly well that 7.3 and 100.14.11 are incompatible?
  • Leave my ports tree alone and risk vulnerabilities until the driver is updated and then bitch when I get rooted?
  • pkg_glob -R xorg, stick those packages (which don't appear in VuXML and are, therefore, quite safe for now) in the HOLD_PKGS stanza of pkgtools.conf then csup & portupgrade to get the fixes for vulnerabilities and wait for both the driver and the input problems to be rectified?
Well, the first one is silly. I'm going to end up with a knackered system that is less use than it was before and it would be my own damned fault. The second one is a little dangerous, especially with firefox being one of the vulnerable packages. The third option seems to me to be the only sensible choice so the third option is the one I went with. I haven't regretted it yet.

References:
HOLD_PKGS: man 5 pkgtools.conf and the default pkgtools.conf, usually in /usr/local/etc/, FreeBSD 6.2-p8 20071005 (c) The FreeBSD Project, Akinori Musha
pkg_glob -R xorg: man 1 pkg_glob, FreeBSD 6.2-p8 20071005 (c) The FreeBSD Project, Akinori Musha
Xorg-7.3 input modules issues: The X11 mailing list, week ending 9th September 2007 to present, (c) various authors, list run by The FreeBSD Project.
__________________
-.. . -.-. .... .-. --- -. --- ... ...-.-
Chronos_ is offline   Reply With Quote