View Single Post
Old 10-09-07, 08:01 PM   #81
=JeffH

Default Re: Suspend/Hibernate - does it work for you?

Yes, of late suspend-to-ram is working (for me). I have not tried suspend-to-disk (aka hibernate) since upgrading video driver and kernel. In a few prior curiosity-driven attempts, hibernate had worked about 40% of the time (and this was with the 9755 driver rev IIRC).

current setup:
-------------
Dell D820 core 2 duo T7200
w/ nVidia Qaudro NVS 120m (aka geForce Go 7400) "512mb"

Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy, vanila installation, with current (as of today 9-Oct-2007) updates applied.

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.15.7 i686
Current Operating System: Linux 2.6.17-12-generic #2 SMP Sun Sep 23 22:56:28 UTC 2007 i686
Build Date: 07 July 2006
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present

nvidia binary driver, version 100.14.09
(see this thread: here, esp. more recent posts beginning here)

wrt swsusp in kernel, suspend2, etc.: lsmod doesn't show any modules matching the expression "*sus*", and I'm not sure what the ubuntu/debian gangs have config'd in Linux 2.6.17-12-generic by default.

The only tweak I've made specifically to try to help suspend-to-ram be reliable is to rename "/usr/sbin/vbetool" so it can't be found by the stock suspend/resume scripts, if they do in fact attempt to employ it.

Since installing the latest Ubuntu-released kernel upgrade and installing 100.14.09 binary driver, suspend-to-ram has been 100% successful, before and after renaming "/usr/sbin/vbetool", although I'd only tried it a couple of times before effecting that tweak. I've tried suspend/resume about 15..20 times since and it worked fine. System was in-use or suspended for almost about 5 days before I rebooted today to resolve an unrelated (AFAIK) issue with the sound subsystem.

Hotkey switching of displays between builtin LCD and external VGA-connected monitor works 100% (so far) in terms of switching just between either the builtin-LCD and the VGA-connected external monitor. I.e. either one is working and the other is blank, i.e. there is no apparent mode where both are working (with the external monitor "mirroring" what's on the builtin-LCD).

Note: I'd tried the 100.14.19 driver and it'd consistently locked up the sytem's user interface when I tried to do a hotkey switch. this was before I renamed "/usr/sbin/vbetool" so I don't know if that might've had anything to do with it, and I needed to get work done so didn't mess around with running the bugreport tool. And 100.14.09 works for me, so I'm going to sit pat until there's compelling reason to upgrade the driver (like having a display mirroring mode that's available via hotkey switch (it might be there - maybe i'm just not properly config'd?).

=JeffH

update 9-Oct-2007: added "(for me)".
=JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote