View Single Post
Old 06-13-03, 07:13 PM   #10
brunes69

Default Bulk Reply

Heres a reply to a bunch of comments:

Quote:
here are numerous Linux drivers that work much better than their closed-source (usually Windows) counterparts.
Please name one X driver that works better than it's Windows counterpart? And define "works better" as well? From my experience the NVidia linux drivers work just as well as the Windows ones, with no issues, and also have advanced features not present in the Windows counterparts. Tough to beat.

Quote:
Closed Nvidia drivers are the one thing that makes my machine unstable. Kernel maintainers aren't interested in tainted kernels (and I don't expect them to be) so this won't go away. That's not my idea of ok.
Seeing I have used the drivers on 3 different systems with 3 different cards for years with no issues, I don't know where this is coming from. Fa rmore likely in my opinion you have either a) overheated hardware, or b) bad hardware somewhere.

Quote:
Not without all of the relevent details on the hardware.
The ATI open source people have all the details on the hardware, yet the drivers blow. They have horribly lacking 3d, no FSAA, no anisotropic filtering, no accelerated XRender, poor multiple display support... need I go on?

Quote:
My bitterness aside, I infact do believe that given the proper info, the open source community COULD make a much better driver.
See above. Everyone says "Open Source would be better!!!" but actual evidence shows otherwise.

Quote:
Why would you use an Open Source OS and then complain about Open Source?

Ok, so you are saying that Open Source is not good enough for you... then go back to your XP setup and be quiet...
Where is this from? Open Source is about Software Freedom. It is about me being able to look at some software's code, learn something, and improve on it and release the benefits to all, free of restrictions and free of charge.

This does not apply to drivers. the benefits would only be realized by NVidia card owners who already bought the card, so its not free of charge. And the quality of the code would not be as good as from the sourc e(NVidia), because no matter what specs I have access to, 1) I don't have 40 hours a week worth of my time to invest in it, and 2) I didn't *DESIGN* the hardware, so I don't know the little quirks and optimizations I can make due to things that aren't really in the specs.

Quote:
IF Nvidia went Open Source, all those specs would be available to the Open Source programmers... Hundreds of thousands of programmers with ideas, Nvidia would of course assemble the best of the best and release a driver, if there is a bug, in less than 36 hours you would find a fix, a simple patch, to patch the OS code...

Before you make any kind of statement like that, please educate yourself in Open Source programming.. until then.. STOP POSTING!
I would suggest you educate yourself in reality. The ATI experience is all you have to look at to know that Open Source + Specs is not as good as Closed Source from THE source.

Show me an ATI driver developed by the community that's even in the same ballpark as NVidia, and I will retract this. Until then, all your arguments are moot, since the real proof is right there with the ATI failure.
Quote:
Does anyone really believe that a couple of programmers can do the job better than a couple of hundreds of thousand programmers? if you do... then go closed source and be ignorant...
brunes69 is offline   Reply With Quote