Re: nvidia driver installation fails on openSUSE 10.3
Here's a simple test I've done:
I've uninstalled the driver, reinstalled everything related to X11, basically started from scratch.
1. I've downloaded 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run'
2. I've compiled the driver, chose all the default options (I tried all possible option before), did not choose to update the xorg.conf, didn't run 'sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia' after compilation
3. after init 5 I was brought into a sharp right resolution 1440x900 screen, everything seems perfect
4. checked in Sax2 in YAST, no 3D support enabled, this means my desktop is showing great without the nvidia driver loaded
5. now I go into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change 'Driver "nv"' for 'Driver "nvidia"', save it, press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and...
6. and my screen looks like sh*t!
7. ok, I go back into xorg.conf, change 'nvidia' back to 'nv', Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and...
8. and my screen looks great again
Now, tell me if it's not the nvidia driver...
Please see the xorg and nvidia bugreport from -verbose 6 attached. Do they tell you anything? Do I need to change anything in BIOS for the new driver to work? Thanks.