View Single Post
Old 10-24-07, 02:14 AM   #18
betterdan

Default Re: Plasma Burn In & Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Well, every time I go to any electronics store, the DLP setups are always too dark unless you are standing in front of it. At least, compared to plasma and LCD anyways. If you go any greater than about 30 degrees off center, then it starts to get hard to see things.

Contrast to that of LCD where if you go 80 degrees off center you can still see everything on even the worst setup. I can still see the image just fine on mine at roughly 87 degrees off center, I would be able to read the text on the screen too if it weren't for the fact that I just plain can't read text from that angle on any surface.

I haven't looked at plasma much but I imagine it is the same way in that regard.
About everytime I go to an electronics store all the tvs look like crap. If you judge picture quality from store setups you are asking for trouble.

I know you don't have much experience with DLPs except for inside a store but trust me, we can see the tv just fine at an angle so I won't even get into that non issue.
Quote:
Viewing angle isn't the entire thing either though, keep in mind DLP has worse contrast issues than LCD does, and not to mention not being as sharp, namely due to the way it has to individually cycle through the color chromats.
Really? Can you please post any links to information you have that says all DLPs have "worse contrast issues" than LCD does and that they aren't as sharp as any LCDs?
I would imagine some cheap DLPs are worse just like some cheap LCDs are worse.I have to doubt though that DLPs in general have any significant contrast issues as compared to a LCD of the same quality. Same with sharpness.
Just for poops and laughs here's an article from Sound and Vision (yea it's from 2005 but hey it's what came up when i googled DLP vs LCD) where they compare a DLP set and an LCD set. Pretty interesting. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/837
Here's also a CNET comparison on the different tvs (it says the article was from 3/18/2003 but updated 8/20/2007) where DLPs and LCDs were pretty comparable to each other. It does state that DLPs do introduce a bit more low-level video noise but then it also says that LCDs can have a screen-door effect. It also says that DLPs have better black levels and that is one thing I noticed on ours when we first hooked it up was the excellent black levels and shadow detail.
Both types have their pros and cons and I think both are pretty comparable with no real shining winner over the other from what I have seen and read. Then again if you have any info to the contrary please post it.

Quote:
As for bang for your buck - my 1080p 47" LCD cost me $1,295. I can't find any comparable DLP setups for that price.
Our 1080P 52" DLP cost $1699. I did a quick look and I couldn't find any LCD that size for close to the price we paid. That's why I think it is the best bang for the buck. What brand is yours by the way? Ours like I said is a Mitsubishi which is by no means a cheap brand.

Quote:
DLP can provide an advantage over LCD and plasma in some setups, namely where you can keep the room dark all the time. I wouldn't use it for gaming though.
So people can't really watch DLPs and have a good quality picture unless you keep the room dark all the time? Come on man where are you getting this info from? That's just ridiculous. I have never seen anywhere that someone has said that until you just did. Again we own one so trust me this is not true. Sure the tv won't look as good if you are getting a big sun glare on the screen but then I imagine that is not a DLP only problem.
As for you not wanting to use a DLP set for gaming why is that? There are no burn in issues, the picture quality should be every bit as great as a comparable quality LCD and the black levels should be just as comparable if not slightly better. Weird statement.

I think a person just has to weigh the pros and cons of each technology and see whats best for them. Some things may bother some people while others may not care at all.
I happen to think DLPs are a better way to go and you like LCD better, nothing wrong with that. I know sometimes it's hard wading through some of the misinformation that is put out. I just wanted to post some things that I have had experience with and seen articles about so that people can get a better idea about where DLP stands. I think a lot of people just pass over them because the LCDs are just "sexier" looking and thin which is fine if that's really what you are needing but if the physical size is not a big priority DLPs to me are a better alternative when you get a bigger comparable quality picture for usually less money.

Whew, I'm done

Edit: I just noticed that both of those links I posted were to comparisons of DLPs and LCD rear projection sets.