Thread: 1mb/s??
View Single Post
Old 10-27-07, 02:35 AM   #5
methimpikehoses

Default Re: 1mb/s??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberpwnage
1.5MB/s or 1.5Mb/s? 1.5 MegaBytes per second is drastically different from 1.5 Megabits per second. ISP's usually advertise their speeds in megabits because they're more marketing friendly. Unfortunately, users never actually see their speed in this unit, download speeds are almost always shown in Bytes. Since 8 bits = 1 Byte, theres quite a big difference.

I checked Qwest's site, and they advertise 256Kbps, 1.5Mbps, and 7Mbps packages. Having an actual 1500KB/s Download speed would require a ~12Mbps line.

So if their advertised speed for your package is 1.5Mbps then a 150KB/s DL speed sounds about right. If this is the case, you may want to consider upgrading your service to the 7mbps package, as that would provide you with download speeds close to 900KB/s. If they advertise 12Mbps then you should be expecting the 1.5MB/s.

I used to use a optimizer tool that worked well in XP, and helped my connection out a bit, but it's rather useless in vista, which I assume is what you're running most of the time.
Well count me in as a noob who went for the lower case "b"!

Thanks for clearing that up for me.