Problem with Extremely Low Resolution in Ubuntu 7.1
I am struggling with resolution issues in a new installation of Ubuntu. My details are:
Intel P IV CPU
Intel 865GBF motherboard
1 GB RAM
250 GB Sata HD (partitioned to dual boot Windows XP Home and Ubuntu)
Nvidia GeForce 6800 XT AGP video card
ViewSonic VX2025wm monitor, native resolution of 1680x1050 with a refresh rate of 60
Creative Live! Value sound card
Fresh install of Ubuntu 7.1 Gusty Gibbon command-line installation
Fresh installation of KDE 3.5.8 (NOT Kubuntu)
I have attached nvidia-bug-report.log, Xorg.0.log, and my xorg.conf file. Please note that the xorg.conf file was edited so that I could get a reasonable resolution for making this request for help. The only thing that changed was the driver from "nvidia" to "nv". The same problems were experienced when using apt-get to install nvidia-glx-new.
The problem is I cannot get a resolution greater than 640x480 to display. Everything that I've tried so far has failed. My installation efforts are posted below.
1) Console login
2) sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run
Accepted all defaults, used the Nvidia installer to modify xorg.conf. Installation reports that it's successful.
4) X restarts with 640x480 resolution
5) Log into KDE and use kcontrol to attempt to set monitor to generic LCD 1680x1050 resolution. Unable to use Nvidia-Settings because the bottom of window is inaccessible for saving any changes, etc.
6) Check xorg.conf for changes, 1680x1050 resolution is set correctly for monitor
7) Reboot, kdm does not start although apparently xserver does. Goes to a command line login.
8) Edited xorg.conf to change "nvidia" driver to "nv."
9) Restart and all is fine except the nv driver is very limited and I would love to be able to access the video card's capabilities.
My next plan is to attempt to install using sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run --update to get the 100.14.24 driver. I have attempted that already without success, I will post those log files here as well.
Thank you for any and all help I may receive for this problem.