View Single Post
Old 11-11-07, 07:33 AM   #44
ATI_Dude

Default Re: Blizz removes HW sound acceleration from WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Well either way Aureal did not come from nasa as you said (aureal and nasa have never had any relationship whatsoever,) and...

No, they didn't. They happened to use the same technology that NASA used. That is about all they have in common with nasa.
Don't be such a quibbler. Aureal licensed some of NASA's technology and used it to create Aureal 3D. NASA licensed their technology to many other vendors including theme parks.

Quote:
And again, nasa didn't use hrtf because it was better, they used it purely as a cost cutting measure.
Better than what? There's always a potentially better technology, but if it costs ten times as much to develop and only yields a net improvement of 2 % it isn't a relevant choice. In the given situation HRTF was the best choice because it achieved both the scientific and financial goals NASA outlined.

Quote:
How often is vertical positioning important even in games though? Possibly for flight or space related games, but not much else.
Well, that's your opinion. Vertical positioning is potentially useful in any situation that involves an interactive environment which isn't completely two dimensional.

Quote:
Not really, you could always make it optional. It has been proven many times over that more people will pay to go to a theater that has a better sound experience. This would especially apply to a theme park attraction where there is virtually no social interaction, and sound positioning is critical to the whole experience.
I was referring to movie theaters not theme parks. Headphone 3D technology is in fact commonly used in theme parks.

Quote:
I have both (a decent set of both at that) and I really don't like HRTF for FPS games. At best it gives you the impression of the direction of the sound, but it just isn't nearly as convincing as a speaker setup. It just physically can't be, for many reasons.
Because YOU don't like HRTF and prefer surround speakers doesn't make it a fact.

Quote:
Also I didn't see mentioned (only alluded to,) in the majority of cases, hrtf does not do well at properly positioning audio sources that are very close to the listener, especially in a headphone configuration. Rather than sounding like they are near you, they sound more like they are coming from inside of your head. If it weren't for you actually seeing the physical location of the object, you would have no idea where it actually was just by listening to it. This is just not physically possible with headphones.
The problem with close proximity positioning has been solved years ago by Sensaura. The same technology is now used by Creative's X-Fi CMSS3D. It's actually mentioned in above article you linked to!

The problem with immovable sound sources can also easily be overcome by panning the camera in game since it corresponds to turning the head of your virtual self. Therefore I don't see why headphones are at a disadvantage in these situations.

Quote:
In fact, speakers are invariably going to allow for much greater ambiance than headphones, regardless of the source material, and regardless of whether you are using stereo or surround sound. This is critical for many FPS games.
Again, this is your subjective opinion not a fact.

Desktop: | Intel Core i7 2600K@ 3.4 GHz | Asus P8P67 Pro | 8 GB DDR3 1600 Corsair (2x4 GB) | Asus GeForce GTX 580 | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS soundcard | Segate Momentus XT 500 GB Hyprid SATA HDD | Samsung SyncMaster T220HD 22'' LCD | 650 watt Corsair HX650 PSU |

Laptop1: | MacBook Pro Uni-body | Core2 Duo 2.53 GHz (FSB 1066 MHz) | GeForce 9400M 256 MB DDR3 | 4 GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 500 GB Hitachi 5400 RPM HDD | 13'' LED 1280x800 | Dual Boot Mac OS X Snow Leopard & Windows 7 Home x64 |

Laptop2: | Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 | Pentium M Centrino (Dothan) 2.13 GHz (FSB 533 MHz)| GeForce Go 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR3 450@1063 MHz (12 PS, 5 VS)| 1 GB DDR2 533 RAM | 100 GB Fujitsu 5400 RPM HDD | 17'' WUXGA LCD 1920x1200 | Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook |
ATI_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote