View Single Post
Old 11-11-07, 09:58 PM   #45
Rakeesh

Default Re: Blizz removes HW sound acceleration from WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI_Dude
Don't be such a quibbler. Aureal licensed some of NASA's technology and used it to create Aureal 3D. NASA licensed their technology to many other vendors including theme parks.
No, they didn't. Again, nasa didn't invent HRTF.

Quote:
Better than what? There's always a potentially better technology, but if it costs ten times as much to develop and only yields a net improvement of 2 % it isn't a relevant choice.
No, because there was not much development cost for NASA. Again, they didn't invent HRTF.

Quote:
Well, that's your opinion. Vertical positioning is potentially useful in any situation that involves an interactive environment which isn't completely two dimensional.
True, potentially, in come cases is very useful. However you don't often interact with things above you, it is usually things around you. This is why in visual media a panoramic view is preferred.

Quote:
I was referring to movie theaters not theme parks. Headphone 3D technology is in fact commonly used in theme parks.
Where?

Quote:
Because YOU don't like HRTF and prefer surround speakers doesn't make it a fact.
Regardless of my opinions though, the fact is that HRTF is not physically capable of reproducing audio as well as a multi-channel setup, as I have already explained.

Quote:
The problem with close proximity positioning has been solved years ago by Sensaura. The same technology is now used by Creative's X-Fi CMSS3D. It's actually mentioned in above article you linked to!
CMSS3D does not solve this problem, it just can't. The problem is in the driver (the part of the speaker that moves, not what runs on your computer.) A smaller driver just can't move air the same way a larger one can, and likewise it can't scale amplitude at nearly as wide of a range that a larger driver can.

Quote:
The problem with immovable sound sources can also easily be overcome by panning the camera in game since it corresponds to turning the head of your virtual self. Therefore I don't see why headphones are at a disadvantage in these situations.
No, that wouldn't do anything for two reasons. A game panning the screen cannot predict the exact direction that you will move your head, and remember that it isn't simply turning your head, you also are going to probably tilt it either up or down, depending on the person. Also, your head is constantly in motion, even when you aren't even actively thinking about the sound.

Plus that would probably annoy people if the game panned each time there was a sound coming from behind you, like a cricket for example which wouldn't move anywhere while it is chirping.

Quote:
Again, this is your subjective opinion not a fact.
No, this is a fact. Headphones can't provide the same natural ambiance that is provided by hearing a sound inside of a room. This is a problem that sound engineers have to work with when mastering e.g. cd audio, because they know that people will often listen to it with headphones, but headphones can't reproduce the desired effect of having a soundstage like e.g. having a concert. They can try to compromise on this by adding hrtf effects, but it still isn't the same. TBH you are the first person I have ever seen who is trying to argue that tiny headphone drivers are every bit as versatile as full sized speaker drivers.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote