View Single Post
Old 11-13-07, 12:45 PM   #47
Rakeesh

Default Re: Blizz removes HW sound acceleration from WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI_Dude
1. Yes they did. Aureal acquired Crystal River Engineering which helped develop NASA's binaural space simulation technology. Aureal used some of this technology in their Aureal 3D algorithm.
This technology existed long before CRE was even around. CRE was merely the first to apply it to the Ames simulator. (And BTW, this simulator would still do a much better job than any sound card of today for many reasons, namely because it had a head tracker, and they would physically map each persons ears, but it still wouldn't work as well as a real surround setup.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI_Dude
Interaction is not the only concern. Immersion and realism is another concern. Vertical 3D positioning adds another dimension to the game experience. For example an approaching helicopter or airplane actually sounds like it's located at a higher elevation it adds a new dimension. The same is true if you move around in a multistory builiding and you notice someone is lurking on the level above you by the sound of his or her footsteps. Current multispeaker implementations cannot reproduce vertical 3D positioning in games as convincing as headphones HRTF.
True.

Quote:
If you go back two posts I wrote:
That doesn't answer my question.

Quote:
Define "reproduce audio"? Current multi-speaker implementations (including the ones that use HRTF) don't offer the same accuracy of 3D positioning on both a horizontal and vertical plane as headphone HRTF.
Vertical, possibly, but not horizontal.

Quote:
Movement of air is irrelevant. The issue with close proximity positioning is related to the limitations of HRTF phase manipulation.
It is completely relevant. You are going to be able to physically feel midrange (and even higher spectrum) sounds that are closer to your body, and that adds to your perception of where an object is. This isn't possible with headphones. This is ultimately where the difference comes between when it sounds like it is coming from your head, as opposed to very close to you. You may be able to do this with high frequency sounds, like e.g. somebody whispering, but midrange sounds wouldn't work.

Quote:
But even this problem can be solved by enabling seperate HRTF filters for distant sounds and close proximity sounds. Sensaura developed a system called MacroFX which enables special HRTF filters for sound sources located within 1 meter of the listener.
I've never heard of this but there is no way it could be convincing. See above.

Quote:
Then the same issues potentially apply to a multispeaker setup since your eyes are usually fixed on a specific position or object on the screen.
No, it does not. What matters is the physical movement of your head, combined with the relative movement of the sound around you to match that physical movement. Visual feedback definitely helps, but it is not practical to add this unless the display was some kind of VR style headset.

Quote:
Why would the game pan? You as a user can pan the camera and accurately pinpoint stationary sound sources.
I don't know, you brought that up.

Quote:
I am referrring specifically to 3D positional audio in computer games.
Why? This is only about a third of the whole audio experience. I am talking about making it actually sound convincing. To quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
HRTF is cheesy btw, that will never work anywhere near as well as a true surround setup will.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote