Thread: 8800 GT
View Single Post
Old 11-16-07, 07:43 PM   #58
Valdoror

Default Re: 8800 GT (OT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilboa
I'm not saying that you're right or wrong... but somehow, the word over-reaction seems like an under-statement when I compare your reaction to the actual problem.

You seem to got it back-wards: Instead of tailoring your hardware to match your requirements/environment, you tailor your requirements/environment to match your (newly bought) hardware.

Does having the first 8800GT in the block (instead of waiting, err, two weeks...) really warrants such a change? In my view, no - but if it does (warrant such a change) in your view, you are clearly using the wrong OS for your needs.

- Gilboa
Hi Gilboa,

I totally agree with you. In fact, my previous post wasn't clear enough, but as English is not my mother tongue, I spend more time writing than any of you and I can't always express myself as clearly as I would like to I'll try to be more clear this time, although such a discussion is rather off topic in this forum, please forgive me.

Over the past 9 years, I've been using RedHat, Mandrake and lastly SuSE distros. Over these years, each time I wanted to renew my PC, I've always paid much attention to which hardware was supported by Linux or not. Behaving that way has always been rather successful for me, but as any other Linux user, I've also faced many configuration problems - may it be getting sound to work (see below), writing CDRWs, reading some commercial DVDs, playing Web embedded WMV videos and so on...

Over the years, I must admit Linux has improved very much in all aspects! That's clear. Nevertheless, my latest Linux installation brought its own problems again. That was SuSE 10.3 64 bits. After having changed some boot configuration via KDE Control Panel, my WinXP refused to boot, don't ask me why! Fortunately, I managed to fix it quickly. GStream never worked for me and I even succeeded in getting KDE sound system (ALSA I presume) out of order, while it was working - rather - well before. I also never found a system that would allow me to read all embedded Web videos the way it's meant to be read, without requiring an external program (such as VLC). With my previous SuSE 10.1 32 bits, printing on my Epson C86 stopped working one day, I never understood why. The enumeration of such problems could be as long as my memory goes...

I'm a DBA, dealing with computer problems every day, so as soon as I get home, I would like to forget about computer problems But I realize Linux is unfortunately not the right OS for such a comfortable home life. Although I've always appreciated Unix systems more than any other, I've reached a point where bearing all these small problems - and spending much time resolving them - has become impossible for me. As you can see, my move towards Windows is not only due to a graphics card driver unavailability (although I've read a beta version is out now).

Recently, I started to want playing with the most recent FPS games, including E.T. Quake Wars, which HAS a Linux client available (thanks to ID Software as usual) but my ATI 9600 XT didn't allow me to play these games. And for the first time ever, I didn't even think whether the hardware I was going to buy was supported by Linux or not, all I wanted was to play these games! That's my fault of course. Or as you said, my needs have changed and as a result, Linux is currently not the right OS for this kind of activity.

Moving towards Windows will solve all the problems I mentionned earlier but will also bring new ones I presume. There's no ideal place... I'm very disappointed by this move, you can believe me, but I rather consider it as a pause. I'll still be using as much open source software as I can, still promote open source software and its philosophy around me. But as long as Linux has not reached a decent industrial stage - that means simplifying its use, configuration and stability for everybody out there - I'm afraid I won't be back, except for very precise tasks, such as self training on database management in a Unix-like environment, which is useful for me.

As a conclusion, I really hope to be back one day, I really hope Microsoft will collapse and I wish all of you the most pleasant trip in Linuxland.

Cheers.

PS: thanks to dbenoy for his proposal regarding a dedicated Linux box, but unfortunately, it won't solve all problems Linux comes with, I experienced it many times
Valdoror is offline   Reply With Quote