Thread: 8800 GT
View Single Post
Old 11-17-07, 04:42 PM   #75
Valdoror

Default Re: 8800 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilboa
If you don't want to screw around with your home OS, you shouldn't be using a (semi-)bleeding edge distro to begin with.
You got it right, I surely don't want to screw around once back home. Unless I choose to play with something, like an Oracle server

Regarding SuSE, I thought that with Novell behind, we would get a rock solid distro, but that was a mistake.

Quote:
You're are switching to Windows XP, right? Not Windows Vista. Why not? Because Vista is too bleeding edge and you want a -stable- solution. (As far as Windows XP can be called stable...)
That's right, I switch to WinXP. Which is - IMO - stable enough. BTW that's really the first Windows version I consider as really stable. It took a looong time for Microsoft to release an acceptable product! I'm talking about the Professional version here.

Quote:
Same applies to Linux. If you're using Fedora/OpenSUSE/Mandriva you are more-or-less using a bleeding edge distro.
Mandrake 8.2 was really stable and I keep a good memory of that one. But I must admit the sequels were not as good...

Quote:
If you want a stable disto with zero post-installing-changes, you should consider switching to CentOS/RHEL, SLED or Debian stable. Sure, you won't have a chance to play with the latest improvements in the OSS worlds, but once it works, it works. Period.
Thanks for these advices. BTW, are RHEL and SLED available for free?!

I tried Debian 3.1 earlier but it disappointed me. After install, I got a 800x600 resolution with no sound at all That was my first and last Debian try.

PS: I thought about moving this personal thread to another forum, but I don't know how to do it. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Valdoror is offline   Reply With Quote