View Single Post
Old 11-18-07, 03:19 AM   #28
levander

Default Re: SVideo works fine, Component gives no video at all

I think all nvidia graphics card do this, but I'm not sure. My graphics card has this proprietary looking port on the back of it for TV Out. Then, a dongle came with the card. It plugs into the video card proprietary looking port. On the other side of the dongle, you can plug in either an S-Video cable or a component cable.

Actually, you can plug in both an S-Video cable and a component cable in at the same time. And for all this stuff I've been trying, when I've checked both at the same time, the Component cabled monitor has been in black and white and the S-Video picture has color. Which leads me to what I think is happening...

I'm thinking that the format of the S-Video signal is simply different than the format for a Component signal. And, that an S-Video signal will travel through a component cable, but it displays in black and white. And, I think that's what I been looking at. An S-Video signal being passed through a Component Cable.

And yes, my video card does have the hardware to do component. It's a Leadtek Winfast A6200. Here are the specs:

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/3d_gra...lineid=1&act=2

Note that that video card is supposed to support 1080i.

Also note page 25 (the PDF's page 25, not the numbers the pages have printed on them by whoever authored the PDF, but the page numbers you can use your PDF viewer to skip to directly) of my video cards user manual:

ftp://ftp.leadtek.com.tw/entertainme...ng_General.zip

Where it says that S-Video handles NTSC and PAL video coming out of the card. And, that component handles SDTV (480i), EDTV (480p, 525p, 576p, 625p), and HDTV(1080i, 720p).

Now, look at what's consistently been the output for the modes supported by my (hardware?) TV Encoder:
Code:
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 6200 at PCI:1:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0):     NVIDIA TV Encoder (TV-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA TV Encoder (TV-0): 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): TV encoder: NVIDIA
(II) NVIDIA(0): TV modes supported by this encoder:
(II) NVIDIA(0):   1024x768; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI,
(II) NVIDIA(0):     PAL-N, PAL-NC
(II) NVIDIA(0):   800x600; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
(II) NVIDIA(0):     PAL-NC
(II) NVIDIA(0):   720x576; Standards: PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N, PAL-NC
(II) NVIDIA(0):   720x480; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M
(II) NVIDIA(0):   640x480; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
(II) NVIDIA(0):   640x400; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
(II) NVIDIA(0):   400x300; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
(II) NVIDIA(0):   320x240; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
(II) NVIDIA(0):   320x200; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
The highest resolution available is 1024x768. Now, I don't think these are really all the modes the card is made to handle. My guess is that 1080i would have a higher desktop resolution than 1024x768. And, if you look, all the modes are labelled as NTSC and PAL, which is what the manual says is handled by the S-Video output.

I'm thinking the modes that component output just aren't listed because they are not being accessed by the driver. I'm thinking this is because the driver is in component mode.

Then, I try to put it in component mode via a TVOutStandard COMPONENT line, and I don't get any picture at all. When the nvidia driver tries to access the COMPONENT mode of the video card, something gets screwed up.

It comes down to this. It's just not normal to have a working xorg.conf with TVOutStandard SVIDEO. Then when you plug in a component cable from the same dongle attached to the same graphics card on one end, and attached to the same monitor on the other end, and you change the word SVIDEO to COMPONENT, you don't get any video at all. It's just not normal.

I think I've just hit a bug in the nvidia driver where it can't talk to the component mode on my graphics card.

What do you guys think my chances of getting nVidia to fixi this bug are?
levander is offline   Reply With Quote