View Single Post
Old 11-20-07, 04:36 PM   #19
sillyeagle
sillyego

Default Re: Overclocking tutorials, links, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBChombo
So buying RAM with 3-4-3-9 Timings would be useless unless you DON"T overclock your CPU or both CPU and RAM can run like that?
Well, if you are using a low clockspeed on your RAM, then you want the tight(low) timings. If you are running a high clock speed on your RAM, then you need to loosen up the timings a bit.

Even with a high clock speed you still want to use the tightest timings you can, so its still good to buy the faster RAM. I don't know about the MBD you are looking at, but with the 680i you can set the ram to be linked or unlinked with the FSB.

In linked mode the RAM clock speed goes up as you overclock the FSB/CPU, according to the FSB:RAM ratio that you select.

In unlinked mode, you can manually set the RAMs clock speed independantly of the FSB/CPU clock.

With my system, for example, I can use linked mode with a 1:1 ratio, and run my RAM at 875MHz with 4-4-4-10 1T, using a FSB of 437.5MHz(QDR1750). Or I can run unlinked, and run the RAM at whatever I want, such as 1100MHz with 5-5-5-18 2T, or 800MHz with 4-4-3-7 1T.

Here is another 680i overclocking guide, with specific info on linked and unlinked memory configs.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=...=1&key=&#61146
EVGA Intel X58