View Single Post
Old 11-21-07, 09:42 PM   #34
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: Crysis was released too early

Ok guys. I'm going to burst your bubble...

This game is VERY well optimized, and I have conclusive evidence to support this. You know what the minimum requirements are for this game?

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz for Vista), Intel Core 2.0 GHz (2.2 GHz for Vista), AMD Athlon 2800+ (3200+ for Vista) or better
RAM: 1GB (1.5GB on Windows Vista)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista) or better
VRAM: 256MB of Graphics Memory

That's verbatim from the website. Look at the specs in my 2nd rig. With the exception of 2GB of ram, it's the minimum requirement listed. Well, I've taken the liberty of installing Crysis on this system.

Bear in mind that my system tanks (in a bad way) on Team Fortress 2 with anything more than 16 players on a server. If you get about 10 of those guys on screen at one time, my framerate dips down to about 10 fps. It's virtually unplayable in those cases... so here's the kicker.

Crysis runs VERY VERY well on my system. Surprisingly, not only is it playable at lowest settings, but it runs around 30-45fps constantly in single player. I've actually been able to set several of the settings up to medium, and it STILL runs very well (between 20-30 fps). Bear in mind, with this computer I do not see any of the cool effects that highend DX9/DX10 rigs see, but it is totally and completely playable. I would venture to say that a 6600 GT would work as well. It would be slow, but it would probably work.

I'm sorry guys, but the boys at Crytek put a lot of work into making this game so it will run on hardware that is several years old. The game scales amazingly well on a P4. I'm actaully blown away that this game runs better than Counter Strike: Source on this PC.

In a few years, this game is going to be rock solid, but right now, it scales well. Just live with it please.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU