View Single Post
Old 11-27-07, 01:19 AM   #55
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard
Default Re: Finally, 3GHz!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
"Pamper my hardware?" That honestly made me chuckle.

Yeah, I like to keep my hardware as cool as possible- it will prolong the component's life. The hotter it runs, the more stress it is put under physically, meaning the shorter its life will be (theoreticly).

I know it'd be fine even if it were running at 60*C. But something else that concerns me is that I know the ambient temp in my case is going to rise some once I put my second GTS back in here. As such, if I can get it to just barely reach 50*C under load, I know I wont break 60*C ever with both GTS in. That's my logic anyways. Yet to actually put it to the test.
You know I've never heard of a CPU actually going out. I mean I've heard of them frying at least the older ones back in the day at high temps, or because someone displaced the HSF, and they simply burnt up. I've heard of PSU killing motherboards, and CPU's... I can't say I've ever heard of a CPU simply just quitting - because of over use. To my knowledge its not a 'wear' item you being American you should know what we classify 'wear items' example would be a timing belt.

I use to hang about the AMD forums, a lot back when they actually did not ban users who had Intel listed in their sig, or posting their benchmarks in the common "top 50 3dmark" threads, and I never heard of anyones CPU physically failing because of misuse...

I ain't saying it can't happen but I doubt its likely if its stable, I doubt added heat will kill it, so as long as it isn't hitting 65c all the time. I think that those 50's are a bit high. As I own an Opty in the other room its the same one you've got, and its got the TT Venus 5500RPM fan on it... It idles around 33-35c... It can be load but I got it setup so I can control the dial. I am not O/Cing it, as its for my two daughters to play their games, and surf on, but I suppose I could give it a try for you and let you know if the temps rise up any...