View Single Post
Old 06-22-03, 01:18 PM   #1
MidnightWatcher

Default Get your ATI Radeon to work on nForce2: Simple Instructions

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 but it should work for other distros out there, too.

1. Before you install Mandrake 9.1, download the nVidia Linux nForce driver 1.0-0261 here and save it to a directory such as c:\linux\ or something like that.

2. Download the FireGL Linux drivers for XFree86 4.3 here and save them to the c:\linux directory (if you can find an .RPM of these drivers that would be even better).

3. Finally download "build_mod.tar.gz" here and also put it in your c:\linux directory.

4. Once you have the downloads complete, begin to install Mandrake 9.1. You can install the Mesa demos but do NOT install MESA itself. Once completed, be sure to log in as "root".

5. As root go to the c:\linux directory (mine was at /mnt/win_c/linux)

6. Install the new 1.0-0261 nVidia nForce driver (rpm -i NVIDIA*.rpm)

7. Install the FireGL drivers (if you have an rpm of them just type rpm -i --force fglrx*.rpm)

8. Copy the "build_mod.tar.gz" to your /lib/modules/fglrx directory (cp build_mod.tar.gz /lib/modules/fglrx)

9. Go to the fglrx directory (cd /lib/modules/fglrx)

10. Untar the build_mod (tar -xzvf build_mod.tar.gz)

11. Go to the new "build_mod" directory (cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod)

12. Run the install (./make.sh)

13. Go back to the "fglrx" directory (cd ..)

14. Run ./make_install.sh

15. Finally, run the fglrxconfig and make sure you select NO when asked to use the external agpgart. "No" should be selected by default, so be sure you do not press "y".

That should be it. It worked for me, I hope it works for you too until a better fix is available. I have pretty good 3D acceleration and the whole works.

PS: If anybody knows where to download "fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-2.9.12.i586.rpm" please post a link here.

Good luck everybody!

MidnightWatcher

Last edited by MidnightWatcher; 06-24-03 at 08:14 AM.
MidnightWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote