View Single Post
Old 12-02-07, 09:44 PM   #13
Rakeesh

Default Re: HDTV Capture Card - Which One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Hey guys. Here is my current A/V setup:

32" Westinghouse LCD (720p/1080i)
Sony Dream Theater 5.1 Surround Sound
XBOX 360 (optical cable to surround sound )
Comcast Motorola HD Cable Box

So I'm going to start buying some parts to build a HTPC and I wanna start with the HD capture card. Not only am I going to use it for SD/HD recording, but my mom is going to pay me to put our old 8mm's and VHS home videos on one or two DVDs. So . . . which is the best for this situation?
Your westy probably has a PIP function in it, most westy's do. If so I would just use that to e.g. watch TV while you are using your PC at the same time. That is what I do, it works great, yet another reason I love westy TV's. I leave the DVR functions up to my tivo, it's a lot less messy that way to boot. If you want full screen, just use the remote to switch inputs.

Instead of spending money on some dodgy video capture hardware and all of the software mess that goes along with it, I would get a decent audio system. IMO a mistake people often make is that they by and large ignore the audio component by getting some cheesy "home theater in a box" setup, which does a huge injustice to the overall quality of their home theater. Dare I say audio is every bit as important as video, if not more so, as it really adds to the whole experience.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote