View Single Post
Old 12-06-07, 07:33 AM   #20
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Default Re: HDTV Capture Card - Which One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Thanks for the link, I'll have to look into that. I dont' have a Firewire cable right now but I'll look into that as well. If it works just as you say it does, then it would be a whole heck of a lot cheaper than a capture card. But, it all depends on what Comcast let's their HD Cable Boxes do right?
I've got Comcast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Just looked at the motherboard I will be using for my media center PC, no firewire. I did find other threads over at AVS about this process and I've seen good results. But here's my question. If this process is so "good", then why would people even bother with capture cards?
My best friend setup his htpc like this about a year ago. At first he tried going the capture card route - too many headaches and horrible results. We read up and after a little bit of trial and error we had his system running almost perfectly. He also does not have firewire and he had to spring for a firewire card and it worked out fine.

I think it mostly people who are afraid to get their hands dirty who go for the capture card because it can be done even with Directv, although an ethernet connection had to be used in place of firewire. Most people can barely check their email without downloading a trojan or virus and asking them to update a video driver is like asking them to come up with a new propulsion system to get us to Mars. Do you really think these people have the capability to read and learn on how to do something properly in order to avoid jumping thru a dozen DRM related hoops?
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote