View Single Post
Old 12-07-07, 02:27 PM   #21
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: HDTV Capture Card - Which One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey74
I've got Comcast.

My best friend setup his htpc like this about a year ago. At first he tried going the capture card route - too many headaches and horrible results. We read up and after a little bit of trial and error we had his system running almost perfectly. He also does not have firewire and he had to spring for a firewire card and it worked out fine.

I think it mostly people who are afraid to get their hands dirty who go for the capture card because it can be done even with Directv, although an ethernet connection had to be used in place of firewire. Most people can barely check their email without downloading a trojan or virus and asking them to update a video driver is like asking them to come up with a new propulsion system to get us to Mars. Do you really think these people have the capability to read and learn on how to do something properly in order to avoid jumping thru a dozen DRM related hoops?
Hmm. I might have to head over to Monoprice and buy a good length firewire cable to test this out on my good rig. I've read nothing but good things about this method so, I'll have to give it a shot.

I'm going to start a thread about building my HTPC here around Christmas time so I'll have a good idea of what I wanna do by then. Thanks!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote