View Single Post
Old 12-10-07, 01:01 PM   #6
energyman76b

Default Re: Framebuffer and X

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
Professionals developing applications for Linux are usually logged to X for reading docs, the Internet, mail and desktop work.
Text consoles are test field or long term data/stats output. I usually use 4 vesafb text consoles 1024x768x8bpp and one X (same resolution but 24bpp).
In my daily life having only X is not enough (or opening several xterms in X).
xterm is slow and memory hungry. There are better solutions - like konsole. I usually have two konsoles with several tabs open. Every tab namend to make it easy to find the right one.

Welcome to the 21 century.

Quote:
There are some long term working apps you do not want to have laying around on taskbar in X for ages. You only want to jump from time to time to see how progress look (I know about fg bg jobs commands but I prefer VC switchibng as more comfortable). This is why 4 text consoles are used by me (I usually use XvMC to play DVD fullscreen when my CPU is busy processing). That is why I'm sad there is no XvMC in Geforce8 - I have to buy Geforce7 instead.
and you need an accelerated framebuffer for some stupid compile/encode/wtf job? Wow.

Quote:
Because:
* it is not accelerated
* X<->VC switching flashes screen which is ugly
* vesafb not always cowork with nvidia (however Nvidia compatibility is near perfect).
* there is no extra features you can get from nvidiafb which is conflicting with Nvidia.
and since when do you need acceleration for text-stuff?
X<->VC switching does not need to flash.
vesa worked surprisingly well for me - until I decided that even vesa fb is just overblown for something that is only used to have tar oder gcc running.

Quote:
This is a joke question?
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
"Why is text (vga) console not good enough?" - energyman76b, 2007
First. Bill Gates never said that. You should update your knowledge.
Second. Why is text console not good enough?

Quote:
Opensource drivers.
VIA Unichrome IGP driver made by VIA.

From technical point of view there should be no problem ... sorry but have to stop. I'm still laughing at ""Why is text (vga) console not good enough?" - energyman76b, 2007" - I will return typing when I stop laughing.
yeah, laugh as much as you want. Is there really somebody out there using via graphics?

And from a technical standpoint there should be a lot of problems. A partly userspace driven system (X) and a 100% kernel solution (framebuffer) fighting about the same hardware. If that does not sound fishy to you, you are beyond help.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote