Hey, I have a bug that seems very similar. I really don't know if the nvidia drivers cause it -- do you know for sure? Here's the description of the bug.
- It doesn't happen under Windows.
- I can make X crash and restart by following those steps:
1. Open a movie clip in Xine
4. Open a movie clip in Xine
- After such a crash of the X server, Quake 3 often crashes in the way you described (this can also happen in XMMS or Xine, so at first, I tought it was sound-related). My mouse sometimes still works, the sound buffer is often repeated in a loop, but the video output is messed up (purple and green garbage), and I must reboot and wait for fsck to do its job. Sometimes alt-sysreq-S/U/B doesn't even work and I have to hit the reset button.
- Asus A7V266
- Athlon XP 1800+
- GeForce 2 MX 400 64 MB
- Mandrake 8.1
- kernel 2.4.8
- XFree 4.1.0
- KDE 2.2.1 + 3.0.3 (crashes in both)
- NVdriver 2960