View Single Post
Old 12-13-07, 05:42 PM   #1
lightman

Send a message via ICQ to lightman
Default CM Cosmos 1000 Review / New workstation setup [56k warning]

Ok, as I promised here it is, my review of the CM Cosmos 1000 case, along with the building of my new workstation.

(some pictures are of terrible quality, forgive me, the lighting in my office isn't really good)

First off, the package :

as you can see, the package is huge. The glass has been put there to give a sense of proportion, it is a normal glass, about 3.75" high.

Tha package is clean, with a picture of the top-front of the case on the side, the CM logo, and a couple of specifications, nothing much.

Let's open it and get the real case :

now, what I was saying about the package ? Forget it, the package may be huge, but the case itself is a real monster!

The front panel is plastic, black, reflective, with a protective sheet on it.

On top one finds the usual Power and Reset buttons, four USB connectors, a Firewire one, an external SATA one, and the earphone and mic jacks. Towards the back there are some vent holes.

You can clearly see the two top handlebars, which are not there only for aestetics, but they help quite a lot when moving the case around, for it is really heavy.

The side panels have a satin finish, clean looking, with a little Cooler Master writing on the lower part, towards the rear of the case.

Now let's take a look at the back of the case :

bland looking, except for the two holes for watercooling, and those two small latches you see on the sides of them. Those latches are best seen here :

you push the latch up, and the side panel unlocks, revealing the interior of the case. Please take a look at that quite big bar that is keeping the side panel locked, I will talk about it later.

On to the side view :

here you can see the five 5"1/4 bays, with tool-less locking mechanism: you slide the drive in from the front, you push the blue button, and there you go, locked! Pushing it a second time unlocks the drive. Under them, the six 3"1/2 drive bays, with the six trays. The thing going from just behind the drive bays to the back of the case is what CM calls the "Wind tunnel", which should help lowering the temperature of the graphics card. You can then see the power supply area (which gets fresh air from the bottom, helping it staying cooler, and thus quieter), the bottom intake fan (which I will move on top of the hard disks area, to keep them cooler), and the back exhaust fan.

(sorry for the out of focus picture)
here it is, the repositioned intake fan. You lose two 5"1/4 bays, but the hard disks are better cooled. It should be noted that I just used the bottom fan, with it's quite thick support, I'm not sure about it, but maybe the optional fan tray has a lower profile, thus using only one drive bay, don't quote me on this, though.

You can see the two big holes for the cables, too.

Let's go on:

the top exhaust fans, and the sheet showing where to screw the standoffs for the different sized motherboards. The case can take any motherboard, from micro-ATX to E-ATX, by the way.

Now, see those hole just above the motherboard tray ? Here's where those sidebar I mentioned before comes into play. There is another analogue hole on the bottom of the motherboard tray, so you would think that routing the power cables behind the tray would be a great idea, right ? Wrong. The sidebar effectively blocks the passage, so you can't route the cables behind the tray. Bummer. (Ok, it has to be said that you should have some really long cables to do it anyway, the ones from the Corsair HX620W aren't nearly long enough to).

Now, last thing about the case, then will move to the new workstation

Just in front of the hd bays, CM kindly put a nice padded aluminum toolbox with zip ties, two screwdrivers (one cross, one flat), and a lot of screws and standoffs. Pretty, and usefull.

Ok, enough for the case, on to the next post for the talk about the workstation.
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote