View Single Post
Old 12-14-07, 08:09 PM   #11
s0be

Default Re: Please add MPEG-4 AVC part 10 (h.264) XvMC acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld
My 7100GS definitely supports XvMC, and it works with MythTV, but it's useless as it causes higher CPU usage. Maybe it doesn't work well with hyper threading or something.

The 8x00 chip sets have no 2D at all? Maybe I'm mistaken, but it's hard to believe that wouldn't result in trade offs that won't be good for users primarily concerned with 2D (like HTPC users). I guess there's a lot to the going theories that nVidia only cares about gamers.

Tom
I'd throw the guess out there that the minds at nvidia know what they're doing here. It's likely they found they could get better 2d performance using drivers to handle setting things up for the 3d processors to handle video. It's already been seen that these cards can handle playing hd-dvd and blueray discs under windows with little to no cpu help (just enough to get the data to the card) so it's not like these gpus can't do the work. It's just that the linux driver doesn't seem to use the standard xvmc interface to do it. I'm not saying the driver doesn't already support some method of offloading the video playback to the card, just that it's not the current standard interface (which is 'broken by design' anyways).
s0be is offline   Reply With Quote