Trouble Installing 169.04 (8800GT) x86_64 on Ubuntu 7.10
I have just received a new computer and am trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 on it. It seems to be working flawlessly except for the video driver.
My video card is Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT 600MHZ 512 MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E.
I have searched both the Ubuntu web site and the NVidia web site and tried every suggestion I could find and have finally run out of options.
If this card is not yet supported for a system such as this please let me know.
Here is a list of what I tried to install the drivers:
1. Uninstalled Previous NVidia Drivers.
---sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
---Previously I had installed 100.14.19 a couple of times and then 169.04. I can't be certain everything was uninstalled properly.
2. Verified I had all the required software. glibc reported so.6, not > 6. Also, Ubuntu ships with Xorg not XFree86.
3. Verify Kernel Sources, Header, and Devel packages are installed.
4. Quit X: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
5. Installed the NVidia Drivers:
---sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.04-pkg2.run
---One reported warning:
---Unable to perform the runtime configuration check for library 'libcuda.so.1' ('/usr/lib32/libcuda.so.169.04'); assuming successful installation.
6. Start X: startx -- -logverbose 5
---sh: /sbin/lrm-video: not found
---(EE)NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
---(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
---(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
7. Created a bug report: sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh
---This has been attached (and bzipped as it was too large to upload as is).
8. Verified the location of installed files.
---Does not have a .o extension:
As mentioned above I have attached the nvidia log file in a bz2 format since it was too large to attach as a .log file.
Thanks in Advance,