View Single Post
Old 12-16-07, 01:14 AM   #71
Xion X2

Default Re: Crysis[PC] vs. Uncharted[PS3]

Jonelo is not some kind of guru that has some hidden wisdom about how to optimize Crysis. I've ran the game with high/medium settings without any AA/AF, and it will still struggle when you get open landscapes on the screen with allies/enemies. It does this both in DX10 and in DX9 w/ the DX10 tweaks. And this is with my Ultra overclocked to 702/1800/2300 with high settings, including shadows (medium shadows look terrible, IMO.)

I run a 1680x1050 monitor, and unless I back the resolution down to 1280xXXX, which looks terrible due to downscaling, then my framerate in some places will still dip down to 22-25fps which is just too low for a PC title. And that's on the beginning level which is one of the better optimized parts in the game.

It's easy to cherry-pick screenshots, but it doesn't change the facts. Even on high settings the game runs slow in many areas as review sites have shown. Very high settings will make around a 10 fps difference on your minimum; it's not a night and day difference like Jonelo is making it out to be. If he really wanted to prove something, then he'd go run a fraps benchmark with recorded logs/frames and post his results like these review sites have done. That will give us a more accurate average and also record the minimums which tell the story of true performance.

Quote:
why is performance of current computers being factored into the equation? the argument isnt if it RUNS better..only that it LOOKS better.
Yes, because playing FPS's as a slideshow is always barrels of fun. Mouse lag FTW. Really improves your aim.

This is what kills me about some of you guys. You couldn't care less if a game plays like run-over dog $h!t just as long as it *looks good*. If you're not playing a game to play a game, then what the hell are you doing it for? To look at the pretty picture? Well, if you want to take a look at something that *looks good* then just look out your window or put on an HD-DVD or Blu-ray movie. Both of those look even better and run at a better framerate. Neither require a patch or a driver update, either.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote