View Single Post
Old 12-16-07, 10:35 AM   #83
Q

Default Re: Crysis[PC] vs. Uncharted[PS3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumstheword
Crysis wins?
I think from a purely technical standpoint, it does. If you crank the settings up as far as they will go, Crysis is going to own anything on the market at least for a little while longer.

If you start factoring performance and gamplay in, I think the scales tip a bit. I don't want to play a game that looks like **** at 1000 FPS. At the same time, I don't want to play a game that looks incredible at 15 FPS. I think the advantage that COD4 and Uncharted may have over Crysis is the performance to looks ratio. I honestly think that Crysis should run better on our hardware at max settings. COD4 and Uncharted don't look (technically) quite as good as Crysis, but they run anywhere from 2 to 4 times faster with higher resolutions and/or AA and AF.

For example: (Using educated guesses)

Lets say we rate the graphics of Crysis a 10, COD4 a 9, and Uncharted an 8.

At the settings that result in these scores, Crysis averages 20 FPS, COD4 averages 75, and Uncharted averages 30 (it seems higher to me, but I'm going to err on the defendants side).

This is how each would rate in "Q's crazy system of rating based on FPS and looks"

Crysis
10 rating / (1/20fps) = 200
9 rating / (1/20fps) = 180
8 rating / (1/20fps) = 160
7 rating / (1/20fps) = 140

COD4
10 rating / (1/75fps) = 769
9 rating / (1/75fps) = 692
8 rating / (1/75fps) = 615
7 rating / (1/75fps) = 538

Uncharted
10 rating / (1/30fps) = 303
9 rating / (1/30fps) = 272
8 rating / (1/30fps) = 242
7 rating / (1/30fps) = 212

This system I just pulled out my ass OBVIOUSLY needs to be balanced a bit more, but I just wanted to illustrate my line of reasoning. I think that Crysis is playable at 25 FPS whereas COD4 would likely not be playable. That would need to be factored in, as well as several other factors. But what I'm really trying to get at is that Crysis should run just a bit better for how good it looks on the hardware its running on. When you examine a "performance to appearance" ratio, COD4 looks awesome for how it runs. Crysis still looks better in the end, but it requires exponentially more horsepower to get there.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote