View Single Post
Old 12-16-07, 01:41 PM   #105
m3dude

Default Re: Crysis[PC] vs. Uncharted[PS3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
That was not the mindset of the original poster. Shall I go back and quote him again on saying how smoothly Drake's played as compared to Crysis?

crysis runs smoother at 720p than uncharted while being a generation ahead in graphics.

15fps is "playable" to you for a first-person shooter? He cherry-picked those screenshots, because when he went back and ran a benchmark he was averaging 25-30fps with some drops to 15. And that wasn't even with all settings on high; he had shadows on medium.

15 fps? i dont consider momentary drops to 15 fps because of hd loading or ram streaming to be a worthwhile point of consideration here. at 1680x1050 on a gtx all high settings u will pretty much never drop below 25 fps other than a momentary blip in the framerate.

Uncharted runs at 1080p (1920x1080):
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...2290307&page=3

uncharted runs at 720p, unless u consider simple upscaling to be 1080p, in that case go play crysis at 720p and your monitor will upscale it, and tada, u have ur native resolution.

And in regards to your comment about it "blowing Uncharted out of the water visually", well, you're once again talking simply about graphics settings and what's not comparable from a gameplay standpoint.

no im talking about across the board high settings, close to playable at 1920x1200, playable at 1680x1050 and below, and looks far far better than anything else at those high settings. u can also enable sunrays, edgeaa 2, and 3d water with virtually no performance hit.

I couldn't give two farts in the wind if Crysis has super-duper-mega-pwnbot-ultra shader settings if it plays at 2fps with them enabled. Optimize the game first to run at a consistent 30fps, which is necessary for any FPS, and then show me the graphics that go with that optimization.

see response to above paragraph

I'm not asking them to. This argument is not about how many graphical effects can be pushed but how well it can be done and still be practical for your audience. And to be blunt, the engine just isn't all that efficient. By the time you scale the graphics back for good performance, you're left with a glorified Far Cry. To get a true next-gen experience you need the high shaders enabled, and they absolutely kill performance.
when it comes down to it your complaining because you cant run the game at maxed settings on your water cooled ultra. im sorry that this for some reason hurts your pc ego. the game is very playable on all high settings and still sets the bar far above anything else on the market.
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote