View Single Post
Old 12-22-07, 08:21 AM   #30
devrandom

Default Re: 169.07 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan at %100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakou
Downgrading to 169.04 is a terrible idea, this driver is superior in every way besides the fan thing. Try running compiz fusion on .04, its a joke.
169.07 is better? How exactly? It seems identical to me, at least on an 8800GT -- animations are still horribly jerky, and all transparencies still gradually fade to opaque (particularly apparent -- and ugly -- with the resize plugin). Performance on an 8800GT is still far, far worse than performance on the old 100.14 drivers on a 7900GS, which is a bit of a shame as I was hoping to show off an awesome Compiz desktop this Christmas, but these drivers are going to make Compiz look crap unless I downgrade my graphics card!

Still, it's quite impressive that they've released new stable drivers at all this close to Christmas, so I don't think I have any right to complain.

Thanks to the folks who recommended nvclock, I can confirm that it works a treat to fix the fan problem. (I've added it to /etc/gdm/Init/Default so I only get a second of jet-engine each time... obviously this is a bad idea, but my sanity is worth more than the price of a new graphics card if this one breaks!)