View Single Post
Old 06-28-03, 02:43 PM   #1
silmacil

Send a message via ICQ to silmacil Send a message via AIM to silmacil
Default A7N8X2.0 Deluxe lock ups

I'm trying to run Mandrake 9.1 on an A7N8X Deluxe Revision 2.0. Everything installs and works fine, but only for limited windows of time. These windows range from 1 minute to as long as 6 hours sometimes. Typically It's about 25-30 minutes. I've tried every configuration I can think of from running with nothing onboard enabled to everything enabled, no PCI cards to all my PCI cards I use. (Audigy2 Plat, Promise UltraTX 100)

In the end, nothing makes a difference, it will still lock up after a period of time. While it's running everything functions properly. I've tried to pay attention to what I was doing at a crash and try that after reboot and so far that has never repeated a crash.

I've called ASUS and we went through some discussion and were unable to come up with anything. I did discover that the revision 2 on this board is suppose to be running an updated nforce2 chipset and it's not just an ASUS revision of the board. So I thinking maybe that is a cause, as if I use my friend's rev 1.06 everything is fine.

The fun twist to this is: this machine will run flawlessly under Windows for as long as I want. Because of this ASUS will not issue me an RMA. Which I can understnad since it shouldn't be a hardware flaw if Windows doesn't reproduce it. SiSoft Sandra completes it's test without fail and MemTest Prot also reports no errors. ASUS also told me they have no received any complaints so far.

I have tried various drivers for the nForce2 chipset. From the default ones Mandrake picks (whatever they are exactly) to teh 256 adn 261 from nVidia as well as the 116 ASUS offers. None make a difference, though the default ones Mandrake 9.1 picks seem the most stable (the system stays up longer).

Now the question .. has this happened to anyone else? Did you ever fix it? Any suggestions? Since teh machien is hard locking I am not getting logs that I know of to check for problems. If someone is able to help me find them and understand them I will gladly post whatever I can.

My board is using BIOS revision 1005 (the latest at time of writing). I'm using an XP 2600+ / 333 with 1GB of Corsair XMS pc3200 memory (2x512 in twin configuration).

I have also tried various memory configurations to see if that made a difference, it didn't. I have also tried an XP 2000+ / 266, same problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
silmacil is offline   Reply With Quote