View Single Post
Old 12-27-07, 03:39 AM   #1
einstein_314
w00t!!

Question DVD Duplication Machine

Hello everyone. My dad owns a eco-tourism lodge (http://www.grizzlytours.com if you're interested). He has a promotional video that he had made which he burns onto DVD's and sends to various people. The video editting was done on a mac using Final Cut Pro and the DVD's were authored using iDVD. Every few months he requires ~100 of these DVDs to be burned.

Ok so as you can imagine, it's no simple task to burn all these DVD's. I'm usually the one to do it and it takes forever. It takes about 4 minutes per DVD (so like 400 minutes for all 100 of them). The problem is that I don't want to sit and baby sit the computer for 7 hours putting in a new disk every 4 minutes.

I've been looking around and it looks like you can buy DVD duplicators where you simply put in the master disk and it will copy it onto 3,4,5,... disks at a time at the push of a button. These machines cost upwards of $1500.

I'd like to put together a simple computer that would accomplish the same task for half that price. My question though is will there be any issues with burning to 6 DVD burners at the same time? Like buffering issues. I'll be using ImgBurn to do the burning (either in some version of linux or XP Pro). It supports multiple drives for burning. I'm not entirely sure how it works when burning to 6 drives. I'm assuming they each have their own buffer, which means that each would have to be reading off the hard drive at the same time? So will a standard 7200 rpm hard drive be able to sustain that reading?

If I burn the DVD's at 16x, I think that's ~21MB/s....so for 6 drives that would be like...126 MB/s? Which I know is not possible from a standard drive. I could go with 8x burning...so that would be about 63 MB/s. That's more reasonable.

Also, would the CPU really matter? I'm looking at a cheap X2 4000+ and 1GB of RAM.

Does anybody have any recommendations/advice? All input is welcome

Thanks!!
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote