View Single Post
Old 01-03-08, 05:03 PM   #1
gigiita

Default broken Linux emulation?

First, many many thanks to nVidia to provide FreeBSD driver. This is absolutely a plus against others.
Now, the problem: nVidia drivers support both native FreeBSD and Linux emulation rendering, but whether FreeBSD native work perfectly, Linux emulation seems to be broken. I have checked many times the README and followed carefully the instruction, tried several drivers versions, search on the forum, but now i am at dead point.
Linux glxinfo report a correct installation (server glx, client glx and OpenGL vendor are all "nVidia"), but direct rendering failed without apparent reason and i obtain a partial acceleration.
It seems that some calls are done in hardware and others in software. This lead to a strange behavior in OpenGL application, with broken textures, flickering poligons and a reduced speed, but not as if it would be done totally in software.
The last thing i tried is to change the osrelease number with sysctl and check the difference with Linux glxinfo:
- sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.2 -> everything OK, but no direct rendering.
- sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.20 -> segfault
- sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.4 -> segfault
- sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6 -> segfault
- sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16 -> segfault
I tried to change the Linux base distribution, but no lucky at all -> segfaults
Any ideas?
Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help
Gigi
gigiita is offline   Reply With Quote