View Single Post
Old 01-05-08, 10:25 AM   #54
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Default Re: Warner to go Blu-ray exclusive May 2008!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
HDM may die. Look at current adoption rates. It's actually been SLOWING. "Blu-ray won" is a retarded statement. The fight between BD and HD DVD is over 1% of the optical disc market. I am starting to see it as Laserdisc 2.0.
hdm WOULD have been dead because of this destructively prolongued format war, now tht Warner has choosen the same side as the majority of the consumers, the format war is effectively over IMO though it will take some time for HD DVD to move completely out of the picture unless something REALLY unexpected happens here at CES. This is not the end, this is the beginning and DVD was no different position in the same stage of it's lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
They are in deep ****. The PS3 is in trouble, they just killed their highest performing display line, BD has cost them BILLIONS and makes them nothing. ( HD DVD and BD sales account for 1% of all optical disc sales ). DVD is 99%.
LOL how can you possibly spin this to "Sony is in deep ****"? Sony has never been in a better position than now. They have basically just won the formatwar of the future HD format. Toshiba and Microsoft are both in deep ****. All these companies made huge investments in their respective format, but Toshiba/MS can't possibly bring it all back in. Sony and it's partners have a good chance at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
For most people, price is the biggest issue. HD-DVD has always been the cheaper format and I've read/heard more people going with HD-DVD just because of that fact.

Probably the next HDM player I get will either be the LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray PC drive for my HTPC or the standalone Samsung BR player (cheapest one).
HD DVD has always been the inferior format. I'm not saying that the difference is huge, but let's face the facts: HD DVD players were only cheaper because they were inferior 1080i (inferior to Blu-ray's mandatory(you all love that word don't ya? ) 1080p) players and from what I've gathered more problematic during playback. You can't compare apples and oranges, but you can compare 1080p players and those are within 30$ of eachother last time I checked. For once the better format, not the cheaper format won and I can't say I'm complaining...
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote