View Single Post
Old 07-02-03, 05:06 PM   #6
connyosis
Eggplant

Send a message via ICQ to connyosis

Quote:
Originally posted by jim64
Thanks so much for you instructions. I have a couple questions. What directory do i have to be in when i make that link with "ln -s linux-2.4.21 linux" or does it even mater. Also ,i am new to compiling the kernel so this may be a dumb question, but isn't stuff stuff like bttv or hardware support compiled into the kernel? What happens to that stuff when i recompile. Doesn't it have to be in that directory with the kernel source?
Thanks a bunch
You have to be in /usr/src when creating the link, since the directory linux-2.4.21 is in that directory. (ln -s dir1 dir2 means that you create a symbolic link from dir1 to dir2. Sort of like shortcuts in windows...)
I dont know about bttv since I have never used it, but you yourself compile in the hardware support in the kernel. If you look around in the kernel confir you will see a lot of different options. If you do not have a specific hardware, you can disable support for it to save memory.