View Single Post
Old 01-19-08, 06:44 AM   #11
spirited1

Default Re: How brilliant would a STALKER MMORPG be?

I don't understand why people think a dev team that made a successful single player game could go on to make a half decent mmo. I see this a lot. And I think the dev teams that think they can do this are more often than not biting off more than they can chew. There are very, very few teams that are good at more than one genre (Square rocks, and were succesful with FFXI, but Ergheiz and Dirge of Cerberus? Urgh). Nice levelling system in Oblivion , anyone think Bethesda can be trusted with an MMO? They'll get the world and lore right.. probably quests too.. but what about class balance, travel, server stability, pvp, economy, loot tables and distribution, raid targets, dps tables, etc etc etc. They have a big name, but that doesn't mean they have the skills. I don't play Oblivion without 'fixing it' with levelling mods and such and I know most of you are the same. You can't fix an MMO like that, so you won't be able to fix theirs.

Blizzard is one of the very very few teams that could carry something like this off. That's because of their IP, legions of fans, attention to detail, lessons learned through battle.net and obsessive QA (and hiring a handful of talented EverQuest 1 guild leaders who know MMO's inside out also helped). Without a recognisable IP that's been around for a long time you're gonna really struggle. Look at the current succesful MMO's out there. WoW, EverQuest, Final Fantasy, Lord of the Rings. And coming up soon Conan and Warhammer. See a pattern?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say a STALKER MMO would suck balls. Big time.