View Single Post
Old 01-22-08, 11:03 PM   #21
nicorulez

Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
Who is buying high definition equipment right now? Enthusiasts. People like you and me. We represent around 1% of the marketplace, and that is why DVD is outselling HD 100 to 1.

When one of the formats starts successfully selling (and by successful I mean it hits 30% of all media sales), then you can declare a winner. Right now, it's anyones ballgame. Sure, blu-ray has a leg up with studio support, but that can change faster than the wind blows.

Consumers are not buying HD as of now. Why? Price. Neither format will successfully penetrate the marketplace at their current pricing. Average Joe will NEVER pay $400 for a player. EVER. Even if HD-DVD dies off blu-ray will never gain a foothold at $400 minimum for a player.
Zelda, I actually agree with you 100 percent. The average Joe buys a last gen console with new fangled controls (Wii...cough) while bypassing far superior products in the PS3 and XBox360. Price is king. That is why there are more Hyundai's sold than Mercedes. However, by the time a winner is declared, I gurantee that Blu Ray hardware will be under 200 dollars. Already, some Samsung Blu Ray players are going for just over 300 bucks. In six months those same players will likely be below 250 dollars. Marketshare is king; why do you think Sony re-thought the PS3 and now have released the 40GB model for 399; less than a year ago you would not have found the 20GB gimped version for a hundred dollars more. HD DVD's are already on a firesale. I believe the tombstone is already being incribed for HD DVD (pity); but it is what it is. Sony will likely win this generation handily on the AV front; I think Nintendo has the console crown locked away for the forseeable future. I believe in 5 years that HD players (whether it is Blu Ray or something else) will dominate like DVD does now. My opinion. Unlike the clown who blogged about the death of Blu Ray; that is all it is. Peace. BTW, I am just busting on you Zelda; you seem really intelligent and give insightful answers. For the life of me though, why do you adhere to that last gen eyesore called the Wii.
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote