View Single Post
Old 09-07-02, 04:43 AM   #1
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy
Angry Sony Drops the SOCOM Ball!

Sony's widely anticipated foray into the world of online gaming is slagging through the mud. They marketed and hyped their ethernet adapter and SOCOM: Navy Seals for the past few months and now, when it comes time to walk the walk, Sony chokes.

SKUs for both of these items are LIMITED. In fact, the EB store got shorted 4 copies of SOCOM and couldn't make all of their pre-orders on release day. Same thing with the broadband modem - can't find it anywhere and both items have gone on back order. Retailers are limiting quantities so you can't like buy a copy for a yourself and a friend.

I've been trying to get this game for the past 2 weeks and every retail store I go says they don't expect anymore copies of either SOCOM or the ethernet adapter until September 15th or so.

What do you all think? Is Sony having manufacturing difficulties or is this just another typical Sony "shortage" PR stunt in an effort to create more false demand and give their console more attention and publicity, regardless if it's negative or positive?

Personally, I'm think it's "shortage" farce. When Final Fantasy 10 came out, there were tons of copies available. Same with Metal Gear Solid. But here they are, in their most naked moment, with the launch of their internet capability and the widely anticipated game of the year among frag addicts, and suddenly they can't produce enough ethernet adapters and copies of SOCOM to go around.

Totally embarassing.