View Single Post
Old 02-07-08, 03:57 PM   #1
lguerb

Default Several Issues with several drivers

Hi, I can't get the ndivia drivers work properly on my new laptop. The card is a GeForce 6100 Go.

Now, first, I installed DesktopBSD 1.6, which is based on FreeBSD 6.3-RC2. The driver was 100.14.19, and this was the only system in which I found no problems at all.

After that, I decided to upgrade to FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE (from scratch, not from DesktopBSD). I build the driver via ports, which was again 100.14.19, and I found some problems in X: some things aren't well rendered. Some examples:

- the "close tab" button in a firefox tab.. when I put the mouse over it, it makes the border of the tab just above it disappear.. like if the button was zoomed or something.

- colours are really weird. I mean, at first sight everything is ok. But I remember Xfce4 default theme for xfwm4 being definitely blue, while here it's gray (??). Also the other colours are a bit corrupted (I have the same XFce 4.4.1 in my desktop computer to compare).

- other issues in firefox: sometimes some lines "move" or have the feeling of being bigger, for example when I select two consecutive lines, or when I put the mouse over a link.

Now, probably you would say that this must be a FreeBSD 7 issue.. I don't really think so, and later you will see why.

I decided to try with latest driver, 169.07 (disabling the version checking in nv-freebsd.h; everything compiled and installed perfectly). Now, the above problems continue.. AND, also a new problem appears that wasn't present before: when I switch from X to a console via CTRL+ALT+FX, the console is all blurry and corrupted, barely can read, and everything is like water, slightly moving..

Ok, now, the reason why this is NOT a FreeBSD 7 issue: after removing DesktopBSD 1.6, and before installing FreeBSD 7, I also tried my laptop with Linux Slackware 12. All the problems I mentioned above (including the blurry console) already happened here. In Slackware I tried 100.14.19, 169.07, 169.09, and everything was the same (except perhaps a less blurry console in 100.14.19; still weird though).

So, what is going on here? If I use the nv drivers everything is perfect (and in fact I can use this to compare the colours in the same computer, for example; another issue just came to me: fonts are much bigger than using nv, and they shouldn't be, they're set to size 9). How is it possible that in DesktopBSD the drivers work fine and they don't work neither in FreeBSD 7 nor in Slackware 12? I find it somehow weird.. I will try in the next hours DesktopBSD again (I didn't use Firefox then, and never tried xfce), maybe the little problems with firefox et al. were there after all.. but kde worked very fine. I even literally copied the xorg.conf file of desktopbsd to the other ones, and tried several modifications too.

I'm totally clueless about this. I can't use neither FreeBSD 7 nor Slackware.

UPDATE:

I have the following maybe useful information:

with the nv driver, xdpyinfo gives me

1280x800 pixels (433x271 millimeters)
75x75 dots per inch

while with the nvidia drivers, the output is

1280x800 pixels (322x201 millimeters)
101x101 dots per inch
lguerb is offline   Reply With Quote