View Single Post
Old 02-12-08, 02:13 AM   #14
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy
Default Re: Dreamshots of Crysis... w00t!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
You don't need a CRT for high resolutions... most 30" LCD's can do 2560x1600... that's higher than a CRTs 2048x1536 by a decent portion. Although the LCD would probably cost more than the CRT... while being quite a bit larger screen (viewable) though. It boils down to preference, I suppose.
Thats not what i am speaking about either. I speak about playing at a higher resolution than the monitor is made for, this doesn't include LCD monitors. For instance, how many ppl with 19" 4.3 CRT monitors run a resolution of 1920x1200 on desktop?

When running 3d apps theres a different story...
The higher the resolution, the more detailed the image on screen, and importantly the less jagged lines there will be, but the lower your performance. LCD and CRT monitors does not work the same way.

The screen on a CRT monitor is made up of lots of tiny Phosphors. It is these phosphors which glow briefly when struck by the beam from the electron gun inside the monitor and produce the image we see on a CRT screen. In Aperture Grill type CRT monitors, the phosphors are separated into fine red, green and blue vertical strips; in Shadow Mask type CRT monitors, the phosphors are separated into groups of tiny red, green and blue dots.

LCD monitors differ from CRT monitors in that they do not have an electron beam or lots of tiny phosphors lighting up. Instead they display images using a grid of fixed square or rectangular Liquid Crystal Cells which twist to allow varying degrees of light to pass through them. Just like a phosphor triad however, each LCD cell has a red, green and blue component, again to facilitate proper color reproduction for each pixel. Even though many LCD monitors are now approaching the point at which the distance between these cells - their 'Pixel Pitch' - is similar to the Dot Pitch of a CRT, because of the way LCDs work and their fixed cell composition, LCD monitors can only provide optimal image quality at their maximum supported resolution, otherwise known as the Native Resolution. At other resolutions, the image can appear more blurry and exhibit glitches.