View Single Post
Old 02-15-08, 07:40 PM   #6
Lyme

Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Thanks for the info. I know that the average person cannot tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p, at least I can't. I just wanted to make sure that my TV will take advantage of the HD.

I really don't care which is better. I have been waiting on a purchase for a time when the market has decided which format it will be going with. Now it looks like it will be blu-ray.

You are saying that the PS3 is upgradeable to the 2.0 profile right?

I will be using component cables BTW.
A few notes,

NaitoSan needs to work on his english.
Blu-Ray is only better because hd-dvd is dead.

Otherwise,

The ps3 is a mixed bag compared to stand alone players when blu-ray movies are concerned. The ps3 does not support all the output formats listed in 3.0 spec, but could potentially do so if Sony wanted. As well the picture quality from the ps3 has been reported to be of lesser quality of a number of the better stand alone units. The PS3 as it is a software player, can be upgraded for as long as Sony wants to.

Using component cables is fine, until Blu-ray movies start using the BD+ DRM. At which point the video will be artificially downgraded to regular sdtv quality. To resolve that problem you need to use HDMI.

As for the resolution and your tv, most good blu-ray players will take a 1080p signal, and convert it into 1080i, giving you a virtually identical picture.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote