View Single Post
Old 02-28-08, 04:02 PM   #15
tacos4me

Default Re: DSL...The Nature Of The Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman
yes it is, dsl is a PVC not a SVC..

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7944

dsl providers use PPPoe as a way of authnticating and metering the end users, not for establishing curcuits.
Dial = authenticate, in this case. Point being, you don't 'dial in' you don't get to surf the internet or download. Your modem may be permanently connected to the DSLAM and your ISP's network, but you still need to authenticate, which requires dial-up style "dialing" inside of Windows. In my eyes that's not always on. Technically, yes, it is. But PPPoE authentication is a pain in the ass, and much like dial up. There's also a small overhead when compared to DHCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman
the distance is more of a factor determined by the CO equiptment and loop lenght( which has nothing todo with phsical length of the loop) then the internal wiring.
I don't know what to make of that statement. Of course loop length is a physical length. Loop length is the physical copper cable length from your local CO to your premises. It's as simple as that. DSL signals attenuate over distance, so the higher your loop length, the lower your attainable sync rate. Premises wiring also has a huge impact from my experience, especially in older houses with ancient copper. At lower sync rates, it's not much of an issue, but when you get up to 7-8Mbit, it starts to become a huge problem. That's when POTS splitters and CAT5 come in handy.