View Single Post
Old 03-04-08, 06:07 AM   #8
bsdx

Default Re: 100.xx and 169.07 drivers locking up when starting X

I hit the same symptoms, did not realize it was freezing because I had too much ram. When I remove 2g out of my 4, it works, but I really want to be able to use at least 3g. I'm already limited to 3200mb by my bios since I'm stuck with 32bit to use the nvidia driver. I had the same problem with a Quadro NVS 290 and a Geforce 6-something (both basic dual dvi cards). I was unable to make it work by telling my kernel to limit memory to 2g, I actually had to remove it. I was going to try the "OS install" mode in my bios but that limits it too far to 256m so I didn't bother. When I set this computer up, I decided to go "the safe route" and stick with the nvidia 32bit driver, and after hours of setup I was dismayed to find that it doesn't even work. Hope it can be fixed somehow, or if unlikely, have someone tell me that it is unlikely so I can make the best of the alternative instead of hoping and waiting. Thanks for any help.

In the meantime I'm giving up rotation, some 2d speed, and display perfection and using the xorg nv driver. Since I just got a new fast desktop, I'd love it if the video driver could keep up. The geforce8 support is considerably better than the geforce6 with the nv driver. My widescreen aspect ratios are correct with dualhead, I could use all 4g of my ram, and I could go 64bit if chances of using the nvidia driver are ruled out. Added some recommended tweaks from the manpage which helps the 2d acceleration some, but at the cost of some image problems:
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

I wonder if Linux freezes too with 4g on 32bit with this driver? But I'm not going to try it.
bsdx is offline   Reply With Quote