Thread: C#?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-08, 01:52 PM   #15
walterman
Rayne

Post Re: C#?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaa
Thanks for your reply. I started learning Java in my university then I took a small course about C++ and YES I was clueless when it came to pointers! But things went well later.

Anyway, in Java I could create GUI and I learned about OOP:Inheritance-Encapsulation-Exceptions I don't know if there were other stuff but I don't think they were deep enough to make me fully everything. So, I want to make a clean start to make up for everything I missed. btw, what language is mostly used in modern games?

Also don't forget to enlighten me with your "perfect combination".
You need a solid OOP knowledge for almost any language today. Personally i think that you should have some basic concepts about CPUs before starting with pointers in C.

Games are usually written in C++ (and maybe with some SSE intrinsics, which i highly doubt). They also use HLSL to write the shader programs. Assembler is rarely used today, the compilers do a very good job, but, it was a must in the past when we had i486 66 MHz machines to run DooM 1 / Duke3D / Quake 1 / ... Today you can use SSE intrinsics in C++ to optimize your apps, or you also can use the Intel C++ classes, which are highly optimized, and from my experience, much more easy to use than the intrinsics.
ASUS Rampage Formula X48 | Xeon 3350 @ 3.6 GHz (450x8/1.26v) | 4x1GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper CL3 @ 900 MHz 3-4-4-15 | 1 x eVGA GTX 285 SSC | 1 x ASUS EN8800GTX (PhysX/CUDA -> Burnt by nVidia 196.75 driver) | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCIe | 1 x Intel X25-M G2 80GB | 2 x 750GB WD RE2 7500AYYS SATA2 16MB | Samsung SH-B083L SATA | Enermax Revolution 1250W | Samsung SyncMaster 275T 27" 1920x1200 | Thermaltake Black Armor | BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch
walterman is offline   Reply With Quote