View Single Post
Old 03-04-08, 07:23 PM   #42
Redeemed

Default Re: I cant take this anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
Fixed.

My brother has a near ancient 939 system with a 320mb GTS and it runs smooth as glass on medium/high.

for the nine thousandth time, crysis could care less what CPU you have!! I've put my ultra in my brothers system and gotten a smooth 25 fps (oxymoron haha) on all very high settings. Benchmark test (both GPU and CPU tests) prove that my E6600 is only worth about 5~ish fps on average more than what the 939 can dish out considering that I also run slightly higher settings.

so all of you still under the impression that crysis gives two craps about what CPU you've got, stop. The GPU defines the performance of Crysis becuase the game wasn't coded to utilize multiple cores (not yet at least). The simple fact that my brothers 939 system with 1 gig of ram can nearly match the benchmarks of my system which considerably out muscles his tells me that despite whatever other benchmark tests we may see online, I've seen with my own eyes crysis totally ignoring the cpu. Running 3dmark 06 on both systems both with his machine with the ultra and then the GTS, shows tremendous differences in the scores. Even with the ultra in his system, it couldn't crack 10K points. Mine demolished his score so there's nothing abnormal about either of our systems.

CDE, Medium water/shadows, high texture, low post processing, no AA, no AF all at 1280X1024. It's not rocket science. There are countless tweak guides out there going in depth on maximizing performance and eye candy.

Running "good" by definition for crysis is 25~30 fps. That's the target to shoot for when you're tweaking the configuration or graphics settings.

If this doesn't work, consider running disk clean up, defrag, etc. It could just be your OS is old and bloated. I've noticed games run considerably quicker after a fresh install of windows.
Really? So a single core A64 2800 will net nearly identical performance in Crysis as my FX-60 at max settings?

No... it wont.

You mention he has an "ancient 939 system"... that is quite vague. Even the X2 3600 (939) will offer a performance boost over the single core 4000. Going from single core to dual core *will* net you a performance boost in Crysis. And considering that the OP's proc is a single core Pentium 4... it is no wonder his performance is so low.

There comes a point where the video card finishes it's task(s) before the CPU can send it new jobs. In his case, this is probably what he's experiencing... along with other things I'd imagine.

To play crysis at a consisten 25+fps you need a decent dual core setup, and absolutely no lower of a video card than what he already has. I guarantee that if the OP upgraded to a Core2 he'd notice a good boost in FPS.

Unfortunately... Crysis has yet to take advantage of quad-core CPUs, it seems limited to only dual-core. But to say there's virtually (or even "next-to") no difference running the game on a single core vs. a dual core is flat out wrong. There's a difference.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote