View Single Post
Old 03-05-08, 08:11 AM   #6
Vadim P.

Default Re: nVidia driver + hibernate = no go?

Ooh, I got the same card. The problem here is that it hibernates and resumes fine. Well, yeah, that's the problem - it does it at once. Hibernates and wakes up right away. Thankfully suspend on this laptop is amazing, and drains a tiny (3% for 7h, I had once) amount of battery power, so I get by on that.

Anyway, I wanted to try your suggestions. But I don't have /etc/hibernate to begin with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaidtan
I just got hibernate/suspend working on my Inspiron 1520 running Gentoo. We should similar hardware (mine has an 8600M GT). Here are a few things I picked up along the way.

Make sure you are not using vbetool. Either uninstall it or set your config files so they aren't using it. It does not work with nVidia hardware and will result in a blank screen upon resume. The file in question should be /etc/hibernate/common.conf or something similar.

Make sure you are using nVidia's agpgart. The kernel's agpgart needs to be either compiled as an external module or not at all. You'll need the Option "NvAGP" "true" line in the Device section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

You'll need 169.12. As far as I can tell that's the first driver that supports the Santa Rosa chipset.

If you're using s2ram for suspend you may need to pass the -f option to force it. This worked for me.

Those were the major points for me. If you hit ctrl-alt-del after resuming and there's hard drive activity followed by a reboot that means the display didn't reinitialize but the machine did resume from hibernate/suspend. Also remember that these are the things that got hibernate/suspend working for me, but may not represent universal truths. Anyone is free to correct my wrongness.
Vadim P. is offline   Reply With Quote