View Single Post
Old 03-15-08, 04:00 PM   #28
energyman76b

Default Re: Linux users need a good driver for nvidia products!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoo2
This is spec'd and adjustable only if designed on the board. You would need supporting circuity like DACs to be able to "Adjust" any voltage on a bus. This is the case for CPU's, Memeory and such but I don't think systems like PCI, PCI-E have provisions for adjustment. Point is the voltage is set stiff from the manufacturer and not accessible by the BIOS. At least not on my board. The extra DAC's for this would add cost.

Great thread. Thanks to NV for supporting Linux but my 5900 was still way smoother than my 8800GT, including Windows.
z
just because something is not user adjustable does not mean that it is not there. Secondly - ever thought about options like 'Driving Strenght' or 'Spread Spectrum'?

and back on topic:

my desktop is fast and snappy. There is no lag. I can scroll, I can change font sizes - and everything is prompt without delay.

But:
I don't use gnome. gtk IS slow (and gnome a memory hog).
I don't use firefox, which combines the worst of all worlds.
My xorg.conf is clean, without garbage.
My Bios is set up well. With all the 'Spread Spectrum' options (there are at least three) deactivated, but stuff like HPET (which does have a positive influence on X) activated.

I don't have lockups. I don't have lags. My desktop is faster than with my 5200 or 6600.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote