View Single Post
Old 03-18-08, 04:15 PM   #1
Kenp

Cool X Server Fails To Start on NIVIDIA At Solaris Install

Hi,

I am trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine with AMD Phenom quad-core and an EVGA GeForce Nvidia 8600 GTS PCI-E 256 MB graphics card. I am also trying to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run to provide the correct drivers for the graphics card.

I tried to install Solaris 10 using the default graphic installation mode. The installer probes the pc for installed hardware and I accept the hardware config recommended by the installer but the pc locks up when it begins to test this hardware config. I reboot and it locks up before entering graphics mode. A Shell prompt is displayed and I can navigate the file system. The system says that I have root access but when I try to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run it fails with a lot messages saying I do not have permission.

I tried to reinstall using Text mode. Near the end of the install I accepted the hardware config the installer recommends and the graphic install fails when it begins to test this hardware config but this a command line login prompt was displayed. I login as root and install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run. I reviewed the xorg.conf file and it looked correct according to the NVIDIA setup instructions. I rebooted using the command reboot -- -r but after the reboot the pc locked up when it tried to start the graphics.

I reinstalled again using Text installation mode. The installer probes the pc for installed hardware and I accept the hardware config recommended by the installer but the pc locks up when it begins to test this hardware config. This time a login prompt was NOT displayed so I could not login and install driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run.

How can I login as root so I can experiment with different settings in xorg.conf?

How do I install Solaris so that if the graphics install fails a command line login prompt will be displayed so I can log in and install the NVIDIA driver file?

Is there a way to login as root using the shell?

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Kenp is offline   Reply With Quote