View Single Post
Old 07-24-03, 03:34 AM   #53
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruined
StealthHawk: No personal attacks please.
What personal attacks? That I called statements such as this
Quote:
IQ differences that can only be detected by zooming in on pictures with paint programs or by any other method than looking at the game with your naked eye in action are 100% useless in terms of comparing in-game IQ differences between the card.
assinine? That was not a personal attack, and I stand by my comment. There are screenshots that have been posted(not by [H] conveniently) that clearly show the mipmap transitions.

Quote:
Again, the guys at HardOCP pitted an FX5900 with 44.03 drivers against 9800PRO with latest drivers and could see zero difference in-game.
Keyword what he could see. He says he can see a difference, but that when you're "playing the game no one will see the differences." In other words, he writes off the changes and says that because he can't see them then nobody else can either. That's a dangerous presumption.

Quote:
Regardless of the filtering Nvidia is using with the FX5900 and 44.03 drivers, it looks no different than the filtering that is being used on the 9800PRO when you are actually playing the game according to a pro site that was specifically looking for such differences in gameplay.
And again, he was not comparing NVIDIA's filtering to ATI's full trilinear filtering. He proved nothing, except that he thinks that ATI's tri/bi AF looks better than NVIDIA's tri/bi AF

At the end of the day you just don't get it. IQ is changed, however so slightly. This affects direct benchmark comparisons in UT2003, and this is also deceit from NVIDIA. They don't perform full trilinear in UT2003 in the Quality mode, and in UT2003 only. Everything else is unaffected. They did not announce what they are doing, in fact, they claim performance increases in UT2003 with 44.03(hmm, where did they come from). Informed users have come to know that Quality mode = trilinear. Furthermore, NVIDIA's own documents seem to want reviewers to benchmark UT2003 on ATI cards while running full trilinear! They have quietly slipped in this fake trilinear in replacement for full trilinear without telling anymore, and without giving users the option of using real trilinear. That is the crux of the issue.