View Single Post
Old 04-21-08, 01:42 PM   #14
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: Help me configure this storage server!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
I don't think he was asking how to do it, he just wanted suggestions on what other partitions to make.
Thanks for explaining it in a way I could not.

Quote:
Personally I still like the 1 giant partition idea. Making one partition for the OS and then one other for the rest is okay, but it becomes a PITA really quickly because everytime you install something you have to change the driver letter of it, and if you start putting things on your desktop you can fill that OS partition really quickly. You are correct though it is easier to reformat the OS should it take a dump and not have to worry about losing your data.
True...but I have over a 1.5 Tb of space, and if I have some corruption with my os, I don't want to have to reinstall that and destroy the info that I'm using as backup.

I've decided to do three (3) partitions:
  • OS
  • Applications
  • Storage and backups
This way, I can have the best performance out of this server.

Quote:
Another thing to consider is this, if you want to do shares then you need to make another share for every partition, aka music, video, games, etc. If you ever need to move stuff around anytime you move a file on the same partition it is a move so it just updates the drive table accordingly. If you partition the heck of it then when you move a file from one partition to another it is a copy, then delete. This takes 1000x longer anytime you want to move files around. Then once you fill up your partitions you'll have to spend a lot more time resizing them.
If I do it the way I'm planning on doing it, I will be able to share out the last partition.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I am still open for more plans if you see a problem with the one I'm going with...
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote